March 23, 2009: Boat People SOS (BPSOS), a national Vietnamese-American community-based organization, is looking for a program manager to supervise case management services for our Hurricane Ike disaster recovery response. Vietnamese immigrant and refugee communities, as well as other limited-English proficient (LEP) Asian communities across the affected region, have been particularly impacted by this disaster.
This program manager will be responsible for coordinating the development and implementation of professional, ethical, and efficient case management services to survivors. He or she will work with our many partner organizations to ensure LEP Asian communities receive adequate relief and recovery assistance to rebuild their lives, and will represent BPSOS at regional disaster recovery meetings and collaborations.
– Coordinate and assist with the development and deployment of BPSOS recovery programs, including outreach projects, case management, resource material translations, direct client assistance and Disaster Recovery Center operations
– Provide expertise in Case Management services as it relates to Hurricane Ike disaster recovery response, including providing support and technical assistance to local community based partners
– Understand and adhere to multiple grant guidelines, deadlines, and budgets while providing effective, efficient and supportive management of staff, including case management supervisors
– Support emergency response and recovery program director to set-up and implement services to Hurricane Ike survivors throughout Southeast Texas, including and not limited to setting up Disaster Recovery Center (DRC) locations
– Monitor and evaluate staff. Must be willing to travel to regional DRCs to provide training, monitoring, and support as needed
– Collaborate with BPSOS-Houston branch management and staff, national BPSOS management, community and faith-based organizations, ethnic media, local, state and federal governmental agencies to ensure community needs are being met
– Work with the fund development staff to secure sufficient resources in support of the recovery activities
– Represent BPSOS at the various Long-Term Recovery committees and VOAD’s and maintain relationships with disaster recovery organizations, partnerships, and collaboratives across the region
– Recruit and organize a pool of volunteers to boost our service and advocacy efforts
– Promote the organization’s mission, core values and culture in the main Texas office and any satellite offices that may be established for this project
– Perform other duties as required to fulfill the mission of the organization
– College degree plus at least one year in community or social services
– Proven organizational skills and ability to multitask
– English and Vietnamese fluency recommended, bicultural background preferred
– Strong computer skills (Word, Excel, Internet)
– Team player with demonstrated ability to interact professionally with staff, clients, fund and service providers and to work productively in diverse team settings or independently
– Willingness to work evenings and weekends, when required
– Deep commitment to justice and dignity for immigrants and their families
– Valid TX Driver’s License and reliable vehicle required
Depending upon experience, plus benefits.
Emergency Response and Recovery Program Director
Email or fax your cover letter, resume, and a list of three references to:
Human Resources Department
firstname.lastname@example.org or fax: 703.647.6499
BPSOS is an equal opportunity employer.
To view more job opportunities with BPSOS, click here.