January 20, 2009: BPSOS-Falls Church is seeking a volunteer to support our Vietnamese Senior Information Line, which is run in partnership with the Fairfax Area Agency on Aging. By volunteering, you will be providing a critically needed service to the community by connecting older Vietnamese adults to social services such as housing, insurance, and transportation. BPSOS is seeking good-hearted, bilingual people who can commit to shifts of two or more hours at regular times during the week.
1. Evaluate clients’ needs to determine eligibility for various programs.
2. Advocate or intercede on behalf of clients to achieve desired result or to obtain the desired information from another agency.
3. Follow-up with clients to ensure that that they have received appropriate information or service.
4. Identify and respond to clients who are in crisis.
5. Provide translation and/or interpretation services.
6. Maintain client records.
7. Attending meetings, trainings, and workshops.
1. Fluency in Vietnamese.
2. Basic knowledge about social services and eligibility requirements or willingness to learn about these services.
3. Strong listening and interpersonal skills.
4. Counseling or case management skills are desirable but not required.
For more information, please send a brief note describing your interest in this volunteer position to Kim Cuc at firstname.lastname@example.org.