December 16, 2008: Boat People SOS is looking for a Houston-based Program Manager to coordinate our Hurricane Ike disaster recovery response. Vietnamese immigrant and refugee communities, as well as other limited-English proficient (LEP) Asian communities across the affected region, have been particularly impacted by this disaster.
This Program Manager will be responsible for representing BPSOS where regional disaster recovery plans are being developed and coordinate the development and management of various recovery programs and projects we will develop, and work with our many partner organizations to ensure LEP Asian communities receive adequate relief and recovery assistance to rebuild their lives.
– Coordinate and assist with the development and deployment of BPSOS recovery programs, including outreach projects, case management, resource material translations, direct client assistance and Disaster Recovery Center operations
– Collaborate with BPSOS-Houston branch management and staff, national BPSOS management, community and faith-based organizations, ethnic media, local, state and federal governmental agencies to ensure community needs are being met
– Work with the fund development staff to secure sufficient resources in support of the recovery activities
– Represent BPSOS at the various Long Term Recovery committees and VOAD’s and maintain relationships with disaster recovery organizations, partnerships and collaboratives across the region
– Advocate for resources to be appropriately allocated to Vietnamese and other Asian immigrant and refugee communities
– Provide assistance to development staff with funding proposals
– Recruit and organize a pool of volunteers to boost our service and advocacy efforts
– Promote the organization’s mission, core values and culture in the main Houston office and any satellite offices that may be established for this project
– Perform other duties as required to fulfill the mission of the organization
– College degree plus at least one year in community or social services
– Proven organizational skills and ability to multitask
– English and Vietnamese fluency required, bicultural background preferred
– Strong computer skills (Word, Excel, Internet)
– Team player with demonstrated ability to interact professionally with staff, clients, fund and service providers and to work productively in diverse team settings or independently
– Willingness to work evenings and weekends, when required
– Deep commitment to justice and dignity for immigrants and their families
Chief Operating Officer
Depending upon experience, plus benefits.
Email or fax your cover letter, resume, and a list of 3 references to:
Human Resources Department
email@example.com | Fax: 703-647-6499
BPSOS is an equal opportunity employer.