Click the image above to see all the opportunities available at Boat People, SOS.
August 21, 2008: The Biloxi branch office of the national community-based organization Boat People SOS (BPSOS) is seeking Case Managers.
Since March 2006, as part of Katrina Aid Today, BPSOS-Biloxi has provided case management services to Katrina victims, especially Asian families and individuals, to ensure that they receive adequate relief and recovery assistance to rebuild their lives.
BPSOS-Biloxi is looking for Case Managers that will provide disaster case management services to households residing in FEMA temporary housing units, those who have vacated FEMA temporary housing units due to health concerns and who remain in hotels/motels, and those with remaining cases from the Cora Brown funded Bridge Program. Disaster Case Management services include the processes of client intake, assessment, and the development of a comprehensive disaster recovery partnership plan.
The position will start immediately, with the contract terminating in March 2009.
- Make appointments with clients and assist clients to develop a long-range Recovery Plan, explore all available options, and identify the client’s own resources and access to government and community resources that will address disaster-caused needs
- Help client develop plan of action with guidance on timelines for carrying out plan
- Assess unmet recovery needs, with the client, through interviewing, making appropriate referrals, and providing advocacy
- Keep a written narrative of the work done on the case and update CAN database and case files
- Conduct case research and presentation to Long Term Recovery Committees
- Aid clients in translation and interpretation of various documents, phone calls etc.
- Conduct community outreach
- Make home visits
- Attend continuing education trainings/presentations
Reports to: Case Manager Supervisor
- Bachelors Degree, preferred in Social Work, Public Health, or related area; or a minimum of three (3) to five (5) years in human services or a related field
- English and Vietnamese fluency required
- Case management experience
- Ability to work independently and in a team
- Occasional work on the evening and weekends
- Must have own car for transportation
- Knowledge of and passion for Vietnamese community
Dependent on experience and qualifications. Includes generous benefits package.
For more information, please email your resume, cover letter detailing why you are the best candidate for the position, and three professional references to Kim Cuc at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the words “Biloxi Case Manager” in the subject line.