July 14, 2008: Boat People SOS, Inc. (BPSOS) is seeking a Micro-enterprise Business Development Coordinator to work on the Road to Independence through Savings and Education (RISE) program from our Silver Spring, Maryland office.
BPSOS was founded in 1980 by and for Vietnamese refugees and immigrants and works to empower, equip, and organize Vietnamese-Americans in their progress toward self-sufficiency. With an annual budget of over $4 million, and 15 offices in the US, BPSOS programs address issues related to Community Development, Family Services, Health and Mental Health, and Survivor Services.
The Community Development Department is seeking a full-time Business Development Coordinator to provide technical business development assistance to Vietnamese refugee small business owners in Prince George’s and Montgomery Counties, Maryland.
Salary: Negotiable, depending on experience and qualifications, plus benefits.
1. Provide business plan development, marketing, fiscal management, accounting assistance to limited-English proficient Vietnamese refugee clients;
2. Assist clients with all components of the business development cycle, from start-up, growth, and expansion;
3. Assist clients with completing micro-enterprise loan fund application and present completed application to Loan Committee and participate in approval process;
4. Take mentoring role to client-borrowers and provide assistance with any problem areas;
5. Organize project activities, including client recruitment and retention, recruitment of potential volunteers and compilation of performance measurements;
6. Prepare monthly, quarterly and final activities reports for submission to the Department Director;
7. Provide technical assistance to local government, civic organizations and community-based groups, and represent BPSOS in meetings and public events;
8. Assist to work on Service Center and perform other duties as required to fulfilling the mission of the branch, department and organization.
Requirements and Preferences:
1. Degree in social work or related field (or equivalent experience in community work) plus one year in social services;
2. Fluency in both Vietnamese and English;
3. Demonstrated experience coordinating micro-enterprise programs with limited-English proficient populations;
4. Experience managing loan funds and coordinating loan servicing agreements;
5. Strong communication and administrative, attention to details, computer literacy, ability to work well in a fast-paced environment and juggle multiple tasks, positive team player attitude;
6. Occasional work on the evening and weekends; and must have own car for transportation.
Location: Silver Spring, MD
To apply: Send cover letter, resume and list of three professional references to:
BPSOS Human Resources
Fax: 703-647-6499 or HR@bpsos.org
BPSOS is an equal opportunity employer!